Sitting under a the clear sky my first night in Bor with my South Sudanese family I hear chanting, horns honking... and yelling.
The journalist in me kicked in! I think, "I'll grab my camera. Daniel will get everyone to safety. I'm here to cover the revolution!"
The journalist in me kicked in! I think, "I'll grab my camera. Daniel will get everyone to safety. I'm here to cover the revolution!"
But I'm both relieved... and disappointed that the sounds I am hearing are jubilation for a wedding.
A little after a year the sounds of violence have been replaced with joy. Life is slowly returning to normal here in Bor, Jonglei state, one of the two focal points of the crisis in December 2013. When violence erupted, more than 2000 people in Bor alone were killed.
The rebuilding now is steady, exciting and hopeful.
Meanwhile, in Daniel's compound, the Gai family has embraced me as a sister.
The future is bright but tough... however, me dear friend Ajah Gai tells me, "God planted us in good soil." Indeed she is right!
More to come! Running out of internet!!
A little after a year the sounds of violence have been replaced with joy. Life is slowly returning to normal here in Bor, Jonglei state, one of the two focal points of the crisis in December 2013. When violence erupted, more than 2000 people in Bor alone were killed.
The rebuilding now is steady, exciting and hopeful.
Meanwhile, in Daniel's compound, the Gai family has embraced me as a sister.
The future is bright but tough... however, me dear friend Ajah Gai tells me, "God planted us in good soil." Indeed she is right!
More to come! Running out of internet!!
Tamara
No comments:
Post a Comment